- 225g self raising flour
- 110g butter
- 110g sugar
- 225g mixed fruit (include cherries if wished)
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice (optional)
- Rub the butter into the flour until it looks like fine breadcrumbs, add sugar and dried fruit and mixed spice, if using.
- Add egg and milk to make a soft dropping consistency.
- Put into lined 2 lb loaf tin or 6″ round cake tin. Sprinkle demerara sugar over the top and pat down with the back of a spoon (this gives a nice crunchy top) and bake for approximately 1 to 1 1/4 hours in a preheated oven at 180 C / 160 C fan / Gas 4 until a skewer comes out clean.